Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Adobe CS3 Support

With Mac OS X Snow Leopard shipping tomorrow, Adobe has released some information about compatibility with Adobe CS3 products. The Adobe Snow Leopard FAQ states:

Older versions of Adobe creative software were not included in our testing efforts. While older Adobe and Macromedia applications may install and run on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6), they were designed, tested, and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available. You may therefore
experience a variety of installation, stability, and reliability issues for which there is no resolution. Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6).

John Nack from Adobe had a follow up article, Information about Photoshop CS3 on Snow Leopard on his blog and says that Photoshop has been tested on CS3 and it works with the exception of a couple of small issues they're looking into.

That's great about Photoshop CS3, but what about After Effects, Premiere Pro, Flash and the other apps? I am really hoping they will work fine without much incident.

I can see both sides of the argument here for support of CS3 in Snow Leopard. Creative Suite 3 did come out a couple of years ago and Adobe could not have had an inkling what was in store for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. It makes sense to build your new software for the most current systems so that you can have optimal efficiency and performance.

That said, users who are still on CS3 are going to be forced to upgrade to CS4 if they want to use Snow Leopard, and that will certainly make a few people angry.

I'm curious how this will be received by Mac users. Hopefully the majority of the Mac users out there have upgraded to Creative Suite 4 and this is not an issue at all.

How do you feel about it? Does it affect you? It doesn't affect me because I'm running CS4 and I don't plan on upgrading to Snow Leopard right away. Leave a comment with your thoughts.

3 comments:

findamir said...

I have CS3 and Snow Leopard and I have a 30 minute short on my hands and I cannot simply render out the audio in the timeline in whole or little chunks without it quitting on me. The reason I still have CS3... I tried upgrading to CS4 some time ago and found out that the format that I captured my movie in (HDV .m2t or mpeg) is not supported by CS4 so I had to send CS4 back (I was not about to re capture my whole movie). now that I upgraded to Snow Leopard, I can in no way export out my audio. This means I have to go to each scene and hope for a render out on each scene and recompile the movie and have it ready for a deadline tomorrow...YAY!

Michele Yamazaki said...

You may want to post to our forum if you have questions. They won't get noticed here, especially on an older post like this one. Sounds like your audio was muxed with your video. Good luck and I hope you got everything rendered.

findamir said...

I wanted to thank you for your expertise and support. I will go to the forum and post something there. One thing I didn't clarify last time was that I am rendring audio and video seperately and my audio has the issue. I am sending the short to a later deadline, but one thing that hightened my curiosity was that on my timeline, which there are about 10-15 stereo audio tracks, one of the audio tracks is mixed down in 5.1, and I am wondering if that is the reason why it won't render out audio. When I turned off a few channels and went to render out let's say 2 audio channels, the audio rendered out fine. I just haven't tried it out with the odd duck, yet. Anyway, thanks again.